Gams

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Potty Training: EPIC FAIL

Expect the best, prepare for the worst was my motto going into potty training.  NOTHING PREPARED ME FOR MORE AWEFUL THAN WORSE!

According to all the ‘signs’ she was ready.  She would bring me a diaper and wipes when she wanted me to change her, she would sometimes cry if her diaper was wet, she was SOOO excited about her big girl potty, she talked about her Dora underwear all the time, she always asked relevant questions while I was on the potty (annoying, but true)…SHE WAS TELLING ME SHE WAS READY….RIGHT!?!?!?!

Silly Indiana weather was forcing us to stay inside all week, so this was the perfect time to potty train, we weren’t going anywhere anyway.

Monday, March 18th; My birthday!!! Also, the day we would learn to use the toilet!!! WOO HOO!!!

“Emrie, do you know what today is?”
“Mommy’s birthday” (great answer, great training, Phil)
“Yeah, and today we are going to wear big girl underwear and learn to go on the potty!!!!” (huge smiles from both of us)

She picked out her own underwear.

We took a picture to mark the moment and texted it to daddy.

Put out the sticker chart and ‘special potty juice’ (she has only had juice one other time in her life, on an airplane, and she talked about it all the time, so I was pulling out ALL the stops). My ‘plan’ was to set the timer for every 15 minutes (half of the ‘recommended’ time in the articles I’d read).  We were SET!

9:00 am ~ I had her sit on the potty and drink her ‘special potty juice’

10:00 am ~ 1 hour later and she still hadn’t gone.  She was getting restless so I said she could get up and I set the timer for 10 minutes so we would sit and try again and literally as the timer was going off she stood and peed on the carpet.

FIRST FAILURE

10:11~ Okay, rocky start, but here we go. I set the timer for 15 minutes

10:20~ She stood watching TV and peed on the carpet and didn’t even look up from the TV, just kept watching.  When I asked her how it felt to have wet underwear she said, “it’s warm” and went back to watching TV until I told her she had to take the underwear off and start over.  She was unfazed.

SECOND FAILURE

10:45~ We made it accident free until the timer went off.  We sat on the potty and after 10 minutes of sitting there she hadn’t gone so she asked if she could get up and I said yes.  As SOON as she got her underwear on she peed, right there on the bathroom floor in FRONT of the potty.

THIRD FAILURE

11:15~ Tried the potty, nothing

11:30~ Tried the potty, nothing

11:45~Tried the potty, sat there for 10 minutes.  This time she stood up from the potty and her underwear weren’t even on she just peed standing over them.

FOURTH FAILURE!

12:00~ Girlfriend goes down for a nap and mom takes some time to regroup!!!

0-4 before nap time…not quiet what I had expected.

2:00~ Mom thinks she has gotten smart…we won’t wear underwear anymore because maybe that is giving her a false sense of security

2:00~ Emrie wakes up from her nap with a dry diaper (because she has peed unsightly amounts all over my carpet earlier, of course)

2:10~Run downstairs put her on her potty, wait 3 minutes….SHE PEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

FIRST SUCCESS!!!!

SO excited I gave her TWO oreo bites and a sticker and called Nana to tell her the big news!

2:15 walk back out into the living room with the timer set for 15 more minutes

2:25~PEEEEEEEED ALLLL OVER THE CARPET

FIFTH FAILURE

2:30~Put her on the potty and sat on the floor next to her there with the iPad for the next hour, she went once at some point, but it was so small I don’t even know when she actually did it.  She got a treat and we made a big deal about it anyway.

MINI SECOND SUCCESS

The rest of the day we had 1.5 (Phil kind of caught her in the middle) more accidents and 1 more success (She went when I put her on the potty).

DAY ONE:  3-9.

Phil said that’s not a bad batting average, but my carpet and my nerves would say otherwise!

DAY TWO

8:00am~ No underwear today…went straight to the potty and 3 minutes later PEEEEED in the potty!

FIRST SUCCESS TODAY!

8:10~ Peed on the carpet

FIRST FAILURE

8:20~ Peed on the carpet

SECOND FAILURE

8:35~ Went in, sat on the potty for 3 minutes…nothing

8:39~ Walked out into the living room and PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

THIRD FAILURE

I had kept my cool all day yesterday (hey, accidents are part of the learning process)…BUT COME ON! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IN THE EVER POURING RAIN!!!  YOU WERE JUST ON THE TOILET!!!!

I may have lost it a little bit on her….”WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHERE DO BIG GIRLS GO POTTY?”

In less than a day and a half we were 4-13….TERRIBLE!

I FINALLY HAD MY EPIPHANY!
SHE ISN’T READY!!!!!!!

Well duh…she never asked to go to the potty, she doesn’t care when she does pee all over herself, she didn’t get that excited when she did pee in the toilet and the ONLY ONE WHO WAS GOING INSANE WAS ME!!!!

I had said we would give it the full out effort for 3 days before I decided to stop or not, but I couldn’t do it.  I could not last one more minute of being on edge.  I could not last one more minute cleaning up pee off the carpet.  I couldn’t last one more minute of being frustrated with her.

So here’s to calling the carpet cleaner and trying again when the weather is nicer and she can pee outside all she needs to until she gets it!

2 comments:

  1. We had a very similar experience. When the girls didn't care that they had pee running down their legs, we realized it wasn't time, yet. They sit on the potty but refuse to go, so you're a few successes ahead of us. I'm hoping warmer weather will make this easier, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad I'm not the only one in this boat. I don't really see it as a failure, just a learning process and I am not strong enough to battle it if she isn't ready. Our girls are smart, they won't be going to kindergarten in diapers...RIGHT:)

      Delete