Gams

Monday, April 1, 2013

How Sports Prepared Me For Motherhood

Playing sports was a HUGE part of my former life.  So much so, that I even went to college on an athletic scholarship (shocking, I know, but I wasn't all dumb, I had a partial academic scholarship too).

As I lugged my 8 month old on my left hip and dragged my two year old into the gym this morning, all I could think was, "SPORTS TOTALLY PREPARED ME FOR THIS...MOTHERHOOD"!

Top 15 ways sports prepared me for motherhood
(some are funny; all are true):

15. The STENCH that comes from such little girls is overwhelming

14. Grass stains are tough to get out and laundry is never ending

13. MENTAL TOUGHNESS...you will survive, you will make it, you will succeed

12. You need to find a coach you look up to, admire, and who is knowledgeable about the direction you want to take, and meet with them often for 1on1's and mentoring

11. A cute uniform really DOES help you play better

10. Stocking, re-stocking and lugging the bag EVERYWHERE (not to mention you better have an extra change of cloths, socks and baby powder)

9. WORK OUT CLOTHES ARE APPROPRIATE ATTIRE!

8. Only eat on the run and carry a huge jug of water to stay hydrated (nursing moms, can I get an AMEN!)

7. Quick on your toes, think on your feet, and improvise in a pinch

6. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT...well, at least it makes improvement

5. Always have a play book you can draw from, as well as a game plan, plan B and plan C

4. The best defense is a good offense...prepare, prepare, prepare

3. Endurance is crucial...YOU MUST OUTLAST YOUR OPPONENT!!!

2. 6:00 am practice is nothing compared to 11:00 pm, 2:00 am AND 5:00 am feedings

1. PICK YOUR TEAMMATE VERY CAREFULLY!!!! They are the person you will eat, sleep and breath with...do battle for and at times, against...they will call you out, encourage you, push you and grow you...they had better be your best friend, because you are going to spend a LOT of time with them:)

My Team in College:



My Team NOW:

1 comment: