Gams

Monday, February 10, 2014

Our Story: Part 6 "The Birthday Date"

Twenty one is a big one!

Phil asked me if he could take me out for my birthday before we went our separate ways for spring break.  I remember feeling kind of excited, so much so that I even went and bought a new shirt for our date (it was a plain white polo if you must know, so I guess I wasn't going too fancy).

I should have realized he was taking this evening pretty seriously when he pulled up and had flowers for me.  When he took me to Olive Garden he explained that Lesley told him it was my favorite restaurant (which was true).  This showed that he had been doing his homework and was really trying to be thoughtful.

As we finished up dinner, the wait staff all came over and sang happy birthday and presented me with a HUGE chocolate cake.  Phil told me he would have gotten fun fetti, but had to settle for my second favorite.  Again, this boy had planned.

After dinner we went to the mall to 'walk around'.  We would sometimes just walk the mall and window shop and talk.  I didn't think much of it when Phil said we should go into the pet shop.  Somehow in our six weeks of getting to know each other I guess I had failed to mention that I am not really an animal person.  While I didn't want to take a dog home with me, I guess I didn't mind looking at them in their cages that evening.

We had walked along the wall looking at all the cute puppies and making comments about the fluffy one, feisty ones and sleepy ones.  We got to the last cage and there was something hanging inside.  I looked more closely and it was an envelope.  I didn't catch on right away and so I mentioned to Phil, "hey look, that's weird, there is something hanging in there." He told me to look at it more closely.

My name was written on the envelope.

I was STILL too dense to know for sure if the card was for me...and I was a little creeped out that there might be a card for me in a dog cage, so I turned to asked the employee to come get it out for me.

It wasn't until I turned around to ask her that I saw a PACK of employees (all girls) HUDDLED together behind the register swooning and staring at us that I realized Phil had asked them to put it in there (I know, I am pretty dense).

Phil was great about it, even though I wasn't sure how to react.  I thought it was weird that it was in a dog kennel.  But after I thought about it later, he probably assumed that I thought puppies were cute and that they gave me warm fuzzies like a normal girl would.  I could cut him some slack, it was really the only thing he didn't quiet research.

We thanked the girls working there and walked out and sat down on a bench.

Things had been pretty lighthearted up to this point in the evening, but when we sat down, I could read Phil's expression that things were about to get PRETTY serious.

He asked me to read the card and I did so quickly while we sat there.  The gist of the card wasn't anything too serious, just that he had enjoyed getting to know me and enjoyed our time together.

I don't remember much of what he said after that, but I remember the message LOUD and clear...

HE WANTED TO DATE ME...EXCLUSIVELY!

He never came out and point blank asked for an exclusive relationship, so I was able to keep my response very non-committal.  I confirmed that I had enjoyed getting to know him too, and then I left it at that.  He didn't push me anymore to define the relationship then.

The evening was winding down and he drove me back to my house.  As he walked me to my door I gave him a hug for the first time as I thanked him for the evening.  That must have given him the courage to bring it up again, and this time he was a little more bold.

Phil asked me, "Do you think in the future we might become serious and exclusive?"

Unfortunately for him, he threw in that vague term, "IN THE FUTURE".

I took that literally, like, "hey, maybe if we keep hanging out like we have been for another six months, maybe then I will be ready to become more serious."

So I said, "YES, I COULD SEE THAT!"

OH, HOW WE WERE ON TOTALLY DIFFERENT PAGES!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment