Gams

Monday, July 25, 2011

Friendly Competition?

I was at the pool today with Emrie and I heard two boys playing baseball together in the pool. The boys were about 8 or 9 and there was clearly a leader and follower. The leader was an American boy and the follower was British with an adorable accent. The American laid out all the ‘rules’; where the bases were, how many outs each boy got, how many pitches, etc.

The boys began playing and the American pitched to the British boy first. The British boy hit it and it was all downhill from there. The American said it wasn’t a good enough hit and didn’t count, but since the Brit ran to first and the American hit him with the ball it still counted as an out. While the Brit contested at first that the American didn’t even hit him with the ball (which he was right, I was watching and he didn’t hit him), the most beautiful conversation followed.

The Brit said to the American, “Okay, I trust you, if you say I’m out then I believe you, besides it’s just a game. You are my friend and I don’t want to argue with you, so am I still up to bat or do I pitch now.”

I about fell out of my chair right then and there! Grown adults aren’t even that mature, sometimes adults are even worse! I wanted desperately to jump up and start applauding, but I figured that would be a little ridiculous. Immediately I looked around to see if the boy’s parents were nearby, but realized that they were both there with the American’s dad.

This started me thinking, what do we teach our children about competition. I know it was just coincidental that one boy was American and one was British, but what does society teach our children and what do I specifically teach my kids?

I will be the first to admit that I am competitive and I also believe that competition is healthy (I won’t get on my soap box, but I am a huge proponent of Capitalism). Competition also helps to motivate people. But when is competition healthy and when should it be curbed? Aren’t relationships more important than winning? Why don’t we spend more time collaborating than competing?

Children need to be taught to do their very best, be proud of what they are capable of, and humble enough to be a good sport.

So, British boy’s parents, wherever you are, I applaud you and commend the wonderful job you have done raising your son! I truly pray that I can do as good a job with my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment