Gams

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pinspired: Edible or Not? Caprese Grilled Cheese

Pretty sure everyone knows I LOVE Pinterest.  I should re-name my blog, "Morgan Has an Unhealthy Obsession with Pinterest" but then I wouldn't know how to make my seven non-Pinterest blog posts fit...just kidding...I would figure out a way to make them work! HA!

I'm also pretty sure everyone knows (especially my family) what a terrible cook I am! No shock here, that Pinterest has helped me provide my family with a decent meal about twice monthly.

So, when I pin something that looks absolutely delectable, and I ACTUALLY take the time to want to make it, I nearly choke in horror when I click on the picture and there is NO recipe attached! AHHHH!

This has happened on more than one occasion (you are probably thinking, maybe you should check the validity of the pin before you pin it, you nimrod).  This happened the other day, but I had my mind SET on having this picture for dinner. Naturally, I decided it would be a good idea to improvise (not advised with my cooking abilities or lack thereof).

Here is the shocker...IT WAS GOOD!!!

Feeling rather emboldened by my new found culinary skills (it was probably just dumb luck and I wouldn't be able to replicate it again) I decided that I would go through my other pins that had once failed me in my moment of drooling, and improvise those meals as well.  I will share those 'experiments' with you as I try them in my little series I like to call, "Pinspired: Edible or Not?"

The picture I was ogling over was this Caprese Grilled Panini:



I knew I didn't have pesto, or a panini maker both of which were probably pretty important for this non-existent recipe.  So I improvised with the random ingredients I had. Here is what I did:

Made my own pesto paste:
3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP dried basil (it would have been better if it was fresh)
pinch of pepper
pinch of garlic salt (or just regular salt)



Stir up the pesto paste and spread it on two pieces of bread that are buttered on the opposite side

Put mozzarella cheese (I had little balls of it that I cut in half and used) and tomatoes (I only had cherry tomatoes...you can see I was really prepared to make this) on the bread


Toast the sandwich like a grilled cheese (a panini maker would be way better, but alas, I don't have one)

You have yourself a toasted caprese grilled cheese...and the verdict:

EDIBLE
 

It was surprisingly really good...like, good enough I would make it again, and Emrie liked it too (but that isn't saying much, because she will eat just about anything!)

No comments:

Post a Comment