The night before my weekly doctor appointment Phil and I were talking about asking to be induced. He knew I wanted to go into labor on my own, but he also knew I was miserable just waiting. He asked me which I wanted more, to experience labor naturally or to have her out? Very valid question, but anyone who knows me knows I am way too impatient to wait if I don't have to!
At my doctor appointment on Wednesday, June 27 I discussed induction with my doctor. She said she could try to get me on the schedule for the following Thursday. When they called the hospital to try to schedule an induction they found that there were no available slots due to many people trying to get scheduled around the 4th of July holiday. Basically I was not going to be able to be induced until the following week, putting me at 41+ weeks. Then I got a phone call from a nurse on Friday afternoon saying they could put me on a wait list to be induced on Sunday night {my actual due date}. I figured I wouldn't get in, but I said I would take it.
The weekend was wonderful, despite the fact that it felt like a waiting game to have the baby. Phil and I spent a ton of time with Emrie going to the pool and dinner and just playing. Sunday afternoon we were at the pool and I was waiting for the phone call from the hospital, but it never came. We put Emrie down for a nap and went to the basement to watch a movie. It was around 4:00pm so I assumed there was no call coming as it was getting too late in the day.
At 5:20 pm on Sunday July 1, the hospital called and said they could get me in tonight to be induced. I needed to show up at 9:00pm. I got off the phone and looked at Phil and as I was telling him they could get me in, I began crying. The reality hit me. We were no longer going to be a family of 3. When I looked over at Emrie who was playing on the floor in the basement and Phil siting next to me on the couch, I was overwhelmed with emotions: fear, excitement, worry, relief, sadness...everything.
Phil was so supportive. He held me while I cried for a minute, then went into Phil mode helping me pack my bag and Emrie's bag {no, I had not packed, silly I know} while being so positive and doing his best to bring peace and excitement to the situation.
After I showered we got Emrie in the car, picked up dinner and went to Ray and Marcia's {Phil's parent's...aka Nana and Papa} house to drop Emrie off. We hung out at their house until it was time to go to the hospital and then we kissed our only daughter goodbye and left to embark on the adventure of expanding our family.
40 weeks
Heading to the hospital
Me with my only daughter for the last time!
No comments:
Post a Comment