Gams

Saturday, February 9, 2013

HELP! My Master Bedroom Makeover Needs Inspiration

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

We have lived in our current house for a year and a half.  Every room in our house has been decorated (not perfectly, but serviceable) EXCEPT OUR BEDROOM!

Phil has been bugging me enquiring about it for about a year now.  "When will we get curtains in our room?"  Normally I am a full out decorator.  We move into a house and I have every room DONE in about three months time.  But I think I have just lost steam when it comes to our bedroom.

Part of my struggle has been that my style has changed, and our furniture doesn't totally reflect my style any more.  Getting new furniture is NOT an option (it is perfectly nice stuff, an only 5 years old).

In December I bought new bedding, but that was kind of stupid on my part because I didn't really have a vision for how I wanted to room to look (well I did, but I didn't really take into consideration how it would look with what we had).  Now I have this beautiful charcoal bedding, with brown/cherry wood and tan walls (which were painted when we moved in, so re-painting is probably not an option either...Ahhhh!). Although I have toyed with the idea of stenciling a cool graphic design just on the wall behind our bed...that's an option.

I NEED HELP!!!!

Here is the stuff we have that we can't change (or won't change): The furniture, wall color, bedding OH AND THAT GREENISH COLORED COUCH (slip cover is an option)...

Given all those 'perminent' items....I WOULD LOVE SOME ADVICE!!!!!

Color schemes (we had orange as an accent forever, don't mind it, but would like a change), ideas for wall decor, curtain ideas, something above the bed, rugs...whatever!

Here is our room...Let's see what all you creative people come up with!!!




 

3 comments:

  1. My very unprofessional idea: Stencil the wall behind your bed using a shimmery color similar to your current wall color; it'll give it dimension and interest without popping too much, and you can change your bedding/furniture over the years without having to repaint every time. Then add an art piece/sunburst mirror/etc above the bed to break up the distance between your headboard and vaulted ceiling. Curtains are a must and I think something in the charcoal color would be pretty. Maybe do a double rod and add sheers then just some heavy curtain panels on the ends. (because who doesn't love sheers blowing through open windows in the summer??!:) Definitely do a light slipcover on the sofa and add some graphic pillows with a bit of your pop color. The orange is fun but you could also switch to royal blue, navy or a deep purple as an accent for pillows and vases/decor. A lighter, low pile rug in front of the sofa will define it as a sitting area. You could find something with a fun print similar to your stencil to tie that together. Add vases/ a stack of books/ some picture frames to the console below the TV. Two long, thin shelves set on top of each other at a diagonal will help fill the large wall space to the right of your dresser and mirror--you can adorn them b&w photos, art pieces, candles, etc.

    But who are we kidding--your style and design are amazing and your home is beautiful. Whatever you do will look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live this website houzz.com. They have tons if home.decorating ideas and inspiration and they send a weekly email! Might be worth looking around on there!

    And world market has some really cool curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s a good thing that your room is a little bare, so you won’t have to take down anything. Sticking with rustic wall decors like globe lamps or iron vines would go great with those wooden furniture. I also suggest adding vintage-looking curtains to add more character to the room. Do update us with your choices. =)

    ReplyDelete